Guccio Gucci (1881-1953) was the son of a Florentine craftsman and founded the House of Gucci as a saddlery shop in 1906 in Florence.
With a capital of only 30,000 lira, he opened the first Gucci Shop which would be the beginning of a big business empire. After WWII, the firm was named Guccio Gucci srl, keeping that name until his death in 1953. In 1982, the firm was renamed Guccio Gucci spA.
The 1960s proved to be very kind to the House of Gucci, with the Gucci brand considered to be one of the status symbols of the times.